Did you know: the Valley’s Edge Specific Plan lays the foundation for a healthier and more sustainable lifestyle for future residents. The plan includes many requirements for future builders that will help ensure a better quality of life and a healthier future for our planet.
Here are 10 examples of how Valley’s Edge will protect people and the planet:
- Energy efficiency construction: All homes in Valley’s Edge will have to meet CALGreen energy efficiency standards, and most buildings throughout the plan will need to adhere to all-electric, carbon-neutral design.
- Better air and traffic: Because shops, homes, recreation, and dining options are placed near each other, you can leave your car at home and walk. The result? Reduced vehicle miles and emissions and less traffic.
- Solar saves energy: 100% of the new homes at Valley’s Edge will be equipped with solar panels, so you can feel good about drawing the energy you need from the sun instead of relying on fossil fuels.
- Thousands of trees planted: In addition to preserving existing 5,500 trees, thousands more will be planted along streets, in parks, parking lots, and other public or private areas of Valley’s Edge increasing Chico’s urban forest and carbon dioxide uptake.
- Water efficiency: All homes will have waterwise fixtures, so saving water will be a no-brainer.
- Good inside air: Indoor environmental quality through ventilation and air exchange design means your family is protected from harsh pollutants that can result in damage your overall health.
- Sustainable building: Nothing’s wasted here. Valley’s Edge will use locally sourced products and renewable resources and use efficient construction methods to minimize waste.
- Designed with nature in mind: Living in nature means protecting the view as well. The plan requires a site-sensitive design that reduces view shed impacts and ensures the design is aesthetically pleasing.
- Breeze, please: The location of Valley’s Edge means it can make the most of cooling evening breezes, skylights, and other solar design elements to reduce energy usage throughout the specific plan.
- Eco-friendly vehicles welcome: Electric vehicle charging stations will be available throughout the property, and homes can be built with electric charging options as well.
These are just a few of the ways Valley’s Edge is planning for a healthy, sustainable future. Want to learn more about sustainability at Valley’s Edge? Click here!